June 17, 2019

River Redhorse!

I don't normally write posts about individual catches, but this one was special and we caught many other species during one awesome session near home in QC. I was with my friend Leo and it was one of his first times multi-species fishing, having only caught common gamefish in the past. We pulled up to the spot and noticed the water was a bit high and quite fast, I had my doubts but we casted our lines anyway.

It didn't take long to get the first bite! Leo pulled up his lifer Mooneye. Not long after, he also caught both Silver and Shorthead Redhorse, and I caught two big White Suckers. Bites were coming fast and we were having a pretty stellar day.



After catching a whole bunch of mixed species one after another, I set the hook into something bigger... much bigger. As I fought it into shore, I tried figuring what species it could be, maybe a Carp or a Catfish? It certainly had a stronger fight than anything else we caught that day. Once I had it near shore, I saw it was a Redhorse! In fact, it was my lifer River Redhorse, and right near home too :)


Not long after, Leo succeeded in getting a second one. I couldn't believe our luck, I had fished this spot a few times before with no luck, but now we had two of them!


After a while, the bite slowed down so we moved to another spot where Leo would have a shot at a Longnose Gar. There were plenty in the river but he couldn't get any to stay on the hook so we had to be satisfied with a bit of microfishing. Leo caught another handful of new species and I caught this cool Rosyface Shiner. Not a lifer but I don't see them too often.


No comments:

Post a Comment