December 02, 2019

Why Lifelisting is Problematic - A Response

Be warned, this is a fishless post!

This response is inspired by an article written by my friend Fletcher at ncangling.com, titled "Why Lifelisting is Problematic - and How it Can Still Evolve". The article is linked below; I highly recommend giving it a read before continuing through this response. I have long thought that there are some problems with the lifelisting hobby, but have never been an eloquent enough writer to put them into words. Although I don't agree with everything in the article, Fletcher brings up some interesting points and convinced me to write a response of my own. I will attempt to break down his words in the paragraphs below.


Issue #1. Objectification/Lack of Care for Fish

The first issue Fletcher takes with lifelisting is the objectification of fish, especially rare and possibly endangered species. This is actually a point I have struggled personally with, so I'm glad he brought it up. The temptation to try and catch fish that are rarely encountered by others, that perhaps no one in the community has caught before, is high. The life of a listed (see what I did there :p) species is simply not worth the risk, and should not be targeted by anyone in the community. Of course, these fish are sometimes caught incidentally, which is understandable but should not be bragged about. The health of the fish should always come first and understanding proper handling is important.

Fletcher also uses this point to bring up some hypocrisy in the lifelisting community, explaining how lifelisters are often at odds with trophy game fishermen, but that the search for rare species essentially follows many of the same ideas as the search for trophy fish. I can not say it better than he has, and fully agree on this point. It's silly for lifelisters to discredit conventional anglers, all fishermen should try to cooperate more often.

Issue #2. Lack of Rules/Quality Control

This point describes how some lifelisters will go to any lengths to add a species to their lists, such as fishing in pay lakes, hatcheries, and even sometimes water fountains. While I agree with Fletcher's idea that these methods take away from the accomplishment of catching a fish in its natural habitat, I do not think there is need for regulation or quality control in the community. Their are no high stakes in lifelisting, very little fame, money, etc., so why the need for rules? Fletcher says, "if lifelisters attempt to be taken seriously, how can they allow hatchery fishing?". I say, why the need to be taken seriously? I think most can agree that lifelisting is a hobby, sometimes passion, but nothing more. While I personally believe that catching a wild fish in its natural habitat is a much greater achievement, I could care less what others prefer.

Issue #3. Networking/Spot-sharing

Fletcher's third issue with lifelisting is the high degree of networking, or spot-sharing, that is prevalent in the community. I unfortunately have to disagree with this point as well, as this openness is one of the things that initially drew me to lifelisting. I do understand how successfully researching, searching, then catching a fish can be much more rewarding than simply being given a spot, but there are advantages to both arguments. Humans are social creatures and networking allows for relationships to be formed, increasing the level of enjoyment for some. I personally prefer a mix of both methods, searching for some hard-to-get species on my own and working collectively for others. As with Issue #2, I think people should choose as they see fit, as long as they are happy with their choices, are following the law, and aren't negatively affecting others. On this last point, this means not sharing spots that were given to you in confidence!

Issue #4. Lack of Accountability

The final issue in Fletcher's essay is the lack of accountability he sees in the community, especially towards the act of snagging. I agree that some especially unethical acts such as intentional snagging or bowfishing should not be accepted, but I am not sure I see the lack of accountability. Perhaps I am too uninvolved, but I have seen lifelisters torn apart for acts such as these. Roughfish even has a "Bowfishing Wall of Shame" page on the site. That being said, I would be interested to hear what you guys think about this topic: is the lifelisting community apathetic towards unethical anglers?

5. My Thoughts

Finally, I'd like to present some of my thoughts on the topic at hand as well as some of the issues I see in the community. Firstly, as is reflected throughout my opinions presented above, I find that some lifelisters take the hobby way too seriously. Some even go as far as making personal threats when another "lifelists" in a way that does not follow their preferred methods and standards. I could very well be wrong, but I prefer a community where everyone gets along and everything is perfect ;) Just kidding, but I do think a bit of lightening up would do some good.

The next issue I see is how some lifelisters seem to think of themselves as above the law when it comes to targeting certain species. Especially when it comes to following the fishing seasons set out for a given species. Targeting a fish out-of-season is regarded as very unethical in most angling communities I know of, but seems to be commonplace with lifelisters. Simply put, all laws and regulations should always be followed.

The final issue I can think of is the air of superiority some of us seem to have, especially when talking about/to conventional anglers. This is another one I have found myself guilty of, and is an easy trap to fall into given the amount of research and effort we put into our passion. The truth is, many of these "others" are just as passionate as we are, and that having an inflated ego does no good for our community.

I would write a conclusion here, but screw it. I think you got the point :p

2 comments:

  1. "why the need to be taken seriously?"
    I couldn't agree more. Literally any "fishing clique" should be asking themselves that too. There are elements of fishing that should e taken seriously, but on the whole.. we'e stabbing fish in the face for entertainment. If you can't self deprecate, why take part in an objectively absurd hobby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! A lot of these points can apply to other fishermen as well, well said.

      Delete