July 11, 2020

Richelieu Fish Sampling Project

So I've been wanting to work on a personal fish sampling project for a while, and the covid pandemic gave me the perfect excuse to stay near home and so some consistent fishing in one single spot. I chose to fish the Richelieu River, one of the most diverse systems in Quebec. I would be bottom fishing with two rigs (slip-sinker and high-low), and keeping track of every catch to see how many fish I catch on average. This is the summary of the ten days I spent on the river.

Day 1

We spent the first day shore fishing two separate spots I had had success at in the past. In a total of 15.5 hours of fishing, we caught 16 fish and 5 different species. The best catch was a 15.5" White Sucker my buddy caught!

Nice White Sucker
Pretty Shorthead Redhorse

Day 2

Day 2 was the first day out with my boat for the year. I went out with my buddy Alexis and we hammered the fish!! Unfortunately, most of 79 fish were made up of annoying White Perch and Channel Catfish. That being said, Alexis still caught his lifer Lake Sturgeon which was super exciting. We certainly jumped for the net once we saw it surface!

Lifer Lake Sturgeon!

Day 3

Today was quality over quantity, and another long, hot day out on the boat. Only 8 fish, but 7 different species! Some cool ones too: Greater Redhorse, River Redhorse, and American Eel, to name a few. The Eel was pretty fun but the Greater Redhose took "catch of the day" since they're quite rare in the river. My girlfriend's dad caught the Eel so he was initiated to their slime pretty quick :p

Greater Redhorse

Day 4

Back on shore again, and the worst day so far. Fifteen hours on the water and little of interest to show for it other than a single Tench Alexis caught. At least we could be in the shade of some trees this way! Did I mention it had been 35C with no cloud cover this whole time!? Anyway... here's the best pic of the day lol.

Scenery pic... you know what that means!

Day 5

Better day out on the water today, 49 fish and 7 species! A storm was brewing up towards the end of the day which may have contributed to the great bite. Among others, we caught a big River Redhorse, big Channel Catfish, Drum, etc. The Redhorse was a favourite of mine :) I'm becoming pretty convinced that River Redhorse are one of the strongest Redhorses out there, they always put up such a great fight, ripping drag and all!

River Redhorse
Release shot!

26" Channel Cat
24" Freshwater Drum

Day 6

Sorry if this is getting repetitive, I meant to make separate posts for each day but time disappears quick when you fish all day! Day 6 was a great one though, the first day I caught all 4 legal Redhorse species in QC in one day! Big Smallmouth Bass also turned up as well as some surprise Mooneye :) The big smallie gave me a run for my money, thought I had something much cooler until I saw it jump haha.

Silver Redhorse
Shorthead Redhorse
Greater Redhorse
River Redhorse

Day 7

Another decent day, but unfortunately the start of what we'll call the "Alexis curse". That's when one person on the boat catches all the cool fish and the other only catches Smallmouth Bass haha. And that's exactly what happened today... I got some cool fish including a big gnarly River Redhorse and Alexis only got Smallies. At least he got one big one at nearly 19"!

Day 8

Rest day! Could have done a bit of fishing, but I really felt like sleeping in and switching things up. I still did get out on the water but spent the time snorkeling, thinking I could learn about the fishes habitat preferences a bit more. I didn't learn much fish-wise, but I was able to remove a bunch of lures from the bottom!


Day 9

Day 2 of the Alexis curse :o I took my friend Francois out for the day, he was hoping for pretty much anything that wasn't a Bass or Catfish... but you know the rest of the story. At the very least, I managed a nice Greater to keep things interesting!

Day 10

Finally back on some decent fish! It was Alex's turn for the Alexis curse, but at least I landed a couple cool ones to keep her hopes up. The two Greaters I caught put up pretty decent fights, and one was just immaculate! Alex got some nice pictures of it too :)

Great Greater Redhorse!
Catch & Release always!

Day 11

One final day out on the water with an old coworker, before I had to head back up north for work. We both work 1 month shifts, so it was pretty nice that our breaks lined up for a couple days to make a day of fishing happen! Of course, he got the Alexis curse, but at least he enjoyed catching Bass haha. I caught a big Catfish partway through the day that really put up a big fight and kept us on our toes. I really didn't expect to see one in the middle of the day in only a couple feet of water! A big Freshwater Drum, that also put up a great fight, rounded off the program!

Freshwater Drum

Results

I analyzed the data for 5 main sets of results: general (daily) results, peak bite times, technique comparison, sampler (fisherman) comparison, and species catch likelihood. I'll add the graphs of my resukts below, but basically I learned that I'll need more data before I can say anything definite. That means more fishing!

The peak bite didn't show much other than a possible slow-down in action from 11:00-16:00, but that bites remained consistent throughout the day. As for the technique comparison, the slip-sinker rig far outperformed the high-low rig under these conditions. This result surprised me as I've always preferred the high-low! The sampler comparison showed that the hookup ratio remained even across the board, but that more experienced fishermen tended to catch more fish, and more technical fish (Redhorse, in this case). Finally, the species catch analysis showed what we all expected, Smallmouth Bass and Channel Catfish were most common, and therefore easiest to catch. I hope to eventually get enough data to find a bell curve and determine the likelihood of catching different species.


BPUE = Bites Per Unit Effort
CPUE = Catch Per Unit Effort


Overall, the important thing was that it was a great time spent with a lot of good friends! Catching all the awesome fish was just a bonus haha. I really hope I still get the time off next year for another 10 days on the river :)

No comments:

Post a Comment